Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Living Sacrifice Thanksgiving



 For by the grace given me 
I say to every one of you:
 Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought,
 but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, 
in accordance with the faith
 God has distributed to each of you. 


If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; 
Thank you to the saints for prophesying. It might be the hardest of all to discern, but the words of Elder Porphyrious and Sts. Anthony, Ephraim, Isaac the Syrian are all reminders of holy living in times far from mine but so alike to my situation, that I am startled.

If it is serving, then serve;
Our church is full of these, but I would like to thank God for a few of the men who are building St. Maria House, changing light bulbs, checking and replacing furnaces, and clean dishes and carry trash. You know who you are.
The young folks who bring food, jump in and help in Church school, do dishes, grow gardens and share flowers, food and ideas with others. I am thankful that for a few Sundays, I've felt free to sit down. It's not that folks make me feel I have to do dishes, but that I often feel timorous and introverted. Hiding behind tasks relieves me. But I've been refreshed so much recently.

If it is teaching, then teach;


  • The patient teacher I know who makes really hard science tests and guides young men when they do stupid things. You don't get upset or even, you just help them clean it up.  You are of a temperment that remains a sturdy example of guiding youngsters to achieve more, not only in education but life. 
  • Rafe Esquith, and for writing about the elegant ideas executed in a way that is you.
  • Becky, a mentor who remains an example to me to this day. Wit is so key, as is action, and not over-working students
  • Camp directors who are real, funny and pithy, and for those who teach as much by living authentically, laughing and embracing who God made them, Thank you.
  • For new teachers. This is hard stuff. It takes patience to get good at. You keep trooping on. Thanks. 

If it is to encourage, then give encouragement;
The people on call, friends, sisters, parents, church members who let me prattle and whine and listen with kindness. 

Mercy and encouragement are very easily confused with me. I would name in both categories. 

If it is giving, then give generously;
Some people are giving of themselves, with teaching my son and other children, alongside their own
Some are leading discussions to show us all the best ways to give, including KIVA and 
Some have their own non-profits, collect goods for local missions, drive folks using their own gas and time, collect baby goods, use their crafty skills for vestment making, cooking beautifying the church, provide socks or mittens or caps, clothing 
Others give the gift of time. So many ways... It breaks my heart with joy!

If it is to lead, do it diligently; 
Bishop Michael and Met. Tikhon

If it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.


  • Anyone in social services
  • Those who live closest to me and keep living here
  • Anyone in church leadership, Uncle Phil, 
  • Mothers. Especially home-schooling mothers
  • Any Presvytera, Khouria, Matushka I know and I know so many of them.

There are other gifts,
of hospitality
of modest living
of gardening
of nursing
of serving Vets, prisoners, and single parents
of Writing
of parenting (teaching ME by example), and so many others

One Body, Many Parts. Thanks.


For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,  so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 

We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment