Saturday, January 26, 2013

Quickie

Some short items of thankfulness today.
“We pray for the big things and forget to give thanks for the ordinary, small (and yet really not small) gifts.” ― Dietrich BonhoefferLife Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community

1. I've said it before. A simple prayer, like the Jesus Prayer. I got worked on yesterday in an alternative way. I'm still processing it. The simple "Lord, have mercies" were good to pray during this.

“Here are the two best prayers I know: 'Help me, help me, help me' and 'Thank you, thank you, thank you.” ― Anne Lamott

2. For 48 hours I've not had pain killers. I can walk at almost 3MPH. Here's a thought on that.

Melody Carlson
“Instead of thanking God for my two strong legs that are able to run and jump and climb, I whined about my "thunder thighs" and "thick" ankles. Instead of rejoicing that I have two capable arms that can lift and carry and balance my body, I complained about the flab that hung beneath them. I have been totally and unbelievably ungrateful for everything. Like a completely spoiled brat, I took my healthy body for granted. I criticized it and despised it. With crystal clarity, I know that I do not deserve the good health that God has mysteriously blessed me with. Not only have I been unappreciative of my body and its amazing working parts, I tortured it by overexercising, and I put my entire health at serious risk by starving myself. What on earth was wrong with me? As I watch these kids with their less-than-perfect bodies, I feel so thoroughly ashamed of myself. I mean, how could I have been so stupid and shallow and self-centered?” 
 Melody Carlson, Faded Denim: Color Me Trapped

3. A good meeting for Achaius Ranch happened this morning. I thank God for people who sacrifice so much to pursue such ministries.


“Those blessings are sweetest that are won with prayer and worn with thanks.” ― Thomas Goodwin
4. Enough blessings to pay off a few obligations.
“Rest and be thankful.” ― William Wordsworth 
 5. For October Leaves crunching under my feet.
6. For warm spells in January
7. For lovers' nests in February
8. For March crocus' blooms.
9. For April lilies
10. For May Pascha this year
11. For June anniversaries.
12. For July and family times.
13. For a mysterious power to set aside worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment